Thursday, March 25, 2010

Counting Box

This simple counting box is a great way to reinforce counting skills and one-to-one correspondence. We made our counting box using a egg carton, foam stickers, and construction paper. Today we practiced counting with jelly beans, but you can also use cheerios, beads, pebbles, flowers, really anything that you can fit twelve of in a single spot! We mix it up each time to keep it interesting.

The counting box is a great independent activity for Ryan (while I shower, clean, work with Ella, etc) Ella is getting to the point where she likes to try and do it with Ryan and I!

2 comments:

  1. I just love this idea! We need a counting activity like this, but some of the classic Montessori wooden items are out of our price range right now. This will definitely fit the bill! And I really appreciate how it's self-contained. You can close it up and not worry about things spilling out. Thanks for the great idea!

    www.discoverthechild.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend who teaches remedial math in high school uses these she makes one for each kid and I think they even use them for algebra and stuff.
    Great idea.

    ReplyDelete