Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ryan’s Awesome New Bed

photo(14)

It’s finally finished!!! I don’t think our Super Daddy is going to be lured into such a grand project for quite a while…

We were enticed when we found the plans, and the momma builder said it took less than $120 and 15 hours. Well ours took about $15o and 100 hours (no that’s not an extra zero)!!! It was a lot of pieces to cut and sand. Then each piece needed a coat of kilz, 2 coats of paint, and two coats  of polyurethane. It’s hard to tell from the pictures but it’s about 5.5 feet tall- we can still tuck him in without climbing up. Anyways, it’s done and it looks amazing!

Ryan thinks it’s the coolest thing in the world. We put his book shelf underneath with a bean bag chair and some rope lights along the inner edge of the bed.

Thanks Super Daddy!!

5 comments:

  1. Don't forget the sanding! Oh... so much sanding...

    Also - look at the picture from the plans - she clearly made hers to a different dimension, looks like it is taller and fits a crib mattress instead of a standard one.

    Lastly - if anyone tries to make this: buy kiln-dried wood from a lumberyard, NOT wet lumber from home depot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo wow that looks great!! What a great bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We looked into getting my son a loft bed too, and my husband wanted to make it, but we caved and borrowed a twin from someone. Building one is still totally on my husbands mind, though. Love the part where you stated that it took 100hrs. (that is why i discouraged my husband from making it... figured my son wouldn't get it until he was ready for college)...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm not sure it's a project I would recommend. The 100 hours isn't an exaggeration :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on getting it DONE! I know firsthand how loooooong it takes to get a bed done...UGH! I feel your pain!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete