Monday, October 4, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

Fall weather is just beginning in Northern California! I LOVE to cook in the cooler weather. Soups, stews, baked grains, so many healthy delicious recipes to choose from!

My friend, Jennifer, graciously shared a recipe for butternut squash last fall. After tweaking it to make it a bit healthier it has become a staple at our house! today with 1/2 the oil and no half-and-half and it was still amazingly good. Thanks Jennifer!

2 Tbs. honey

2 Tbs. canola oil or other light vegetable oil

2 butternut squashes (about 3 lbs.), halved lengthwise and seeded

2 yellow onions quartered

2 Granny Smith apples peeled, quartered, and cored

5 C chicken stock (I make my own)

salt and pepper (fresh)

1/4 tsp. fresh nutmeg

Preheat oven to 450. Combine honey and oil in a small bowl. Line a shallow baking dish with foil and arrange squash, onion, and apple on it. Brush with oil/honey mixture. Bake for about 1 hour turning pieces at least once until all pieces are tender and well browned.

Remove from oven, let cool, then scoop out flesh and chop coarsely. Chop onions and apple.

In a soup pot, combine squash, apple, onion, stock, salt 1/2 tsp, pepper 1/2 tsp., and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 20 minutes.

In a blender or food processor-puree soup in batches until smooth (I use my immersion blender). Adjust taste with salt and pepper.

Enjoy! There will be a lot more recipes coming your way this fall!

1 comment:

  1. I love butternut squash soup! I like to boil my squashes though.

    ReplyDelete