Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Kid Friendly- Super Easy Chicken!

Last night I made one of our families favorite SUPER easy dishes, Roasted Pineapple Chicken.

I started by taking an entire chicken (this is the only way be buy chicken now, since it's so much more cost effective than buying breasts!) and removing the goodies from inside (I save them to make broth, but more on that later). If you've got the time you can rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Put the entire bird, breasts up, into a dutch oven, and sprinkle it with sea salt (about 1/2 tablespoon) and curry powder (about 2 Tablespoons). Next surround it with a can of crushed pineapple, including the juice, and 1/2 a cup of raisins or currants. Bake it at 375 for 45-90 minutes, depending on the size of your bird and voila!! When I've got the extra few minutes and ingredients I add big chunks of onion to the pineapple before cooking, and stir in some fresh parsley at the end.

If we're keeping it super simple I serve it with brown rice, and steamed veggies.

It also goes really well with sweet potato fries. Cut the potatoes into long strips. Place them on a baking sheet. Mist them with olive oil spray. Stir together 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of ground ginger. Sprinkle spices over the potatoes and bake until you can easily pierce them with a fork.

That night I cover the chicken carcass and the giblets (minus the liver)with water and simmer them for several hours. Then I strain it and freeze it in small portions, using silicone muffin pans We save tons of money by making our own broth, and I'm not constantly wasting partial cans or boxes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I've gotten even better at making broth by adding the veggie scraps :) YUM!!

    ReplyDelete